Echidna Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First ideas for the game

+3
ricmax
James
KaoroSorane
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

First ideas for the game - Page 2 Empty Re: First ideas for the game

Post  KaoroSorane Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 pm

scrag_10 wrote:There could also be Pubs/Poster Walls/Town Crier to make announcements and stuff to gather people for a quest, like make an announcement.
This is an interesting idea, because it can be used for many purposes. We could separate them by groups on the board, and use it also for items and GM announcements. I think it would work well...

As for the class/race requirements... Maybe it's not only the Party Quests, maybe there are areas on a dungeon where you must get help to pass through (ex: Maybe if there's a race that breathes underwater, it could dive to find a switch and a race that flies could pass through spikes to activate another switch, I don't know), although in this case I guess it counts as a party quest, right?

I think that at least we should have goals that need to be completed at the same time (ex: two pedestals on distant places) to force a minimun interactivity between players.
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  iHussain Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:20 pm

the grid idea is good

and some attacks can get more than slot is VERY good

But I like the idea of action mmorpg style
and like the use of keyboard to attack and only the mouse to point at the monster/NPC

more idea coming up

iHussain

http://mypage.na.square-enix.com/iHussain

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Um... so you suggest we use the keyboard for attacking AND moving?

I prefer to attack with the mouse because of frenetic battles, where you'd have to keep moving while still attacking, and that would be a pain in the ass with the keyboard.
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  scrag_10 Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:55 pm

KaoroSorane wrote:
scrag_10 wrote:There could also be Pubs/Poster Walls/Town Crier to make announcements and stuff to gather people for a quest, like make an announcement.
This is an interesting idea, because it can be used for many purposes. We could separate them by groups on the board, and use it also for items and GM announcements. I think it would work well...

As for the class/race requirements... Maybe it's not only the Party Quests, maybe there are areas on a dungeon where you must get help to pass through (ex: Maybe if there's a race that breathes underwater, it could dive to find a switch and a race that flies could pass through spikes to activate another switch, I don't know), although in this case I guess it counts as a party quest, right?

I think that at least we should have goals that need to be completed at the same time (ex: two pedestals on distant places) to force a minimun interactivity between players.

Different races having access to different parts of the dungeon is something I like, it is somewhat Legend of Zelda: Fourswords, or Majoras Mask when you have to be a Zora to go underwater. There could also be like freeze the water to walk on top or solidify magma. There could also be Shrines that only certian Classes could use, shrines could heal parties, boost stats temporarily, or open up an new part of the dungeon, like a sub-level (level within a level).

scrag_10

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:35 pm

I like the idea of using skills for clearing dungeons (like the magma thing). Depending on the skills of each job and race, we could implement many of these on a dungeon. Different kinds of magic being used for that is also interesting.

It reminds me of FF:Crystal Chronicles, where you need Selkies (a race which can double-jump in air) to reach some platforms and activate switches, as well as using Yukes' magic to light candles.
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  Seshiro Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:47 pm

It reminds me a mmo called "Dofus", it's not a very good one, characters are not well-designed, and you have to pay for a premium account if you want to REALLY play the game.
I played it because I met a lot of people in-game, I installed it because it had Linux version, thing that interested me Wink
You have 2 game modes, when you're in the world map, watching all the monsters, when you touch them battle mode starts. Battle mode is very similar to FFTactics one, the main difference is that you control only 1 character, and the other characters are controlled by other people (xDDD). ¿Why did I like this battle system? Despite being so slow, there's one thing that made it interesting: STRATEGY. I remember I choose a white mage (sooooo gay xDDDD) and I was required in A LOT of parties, I've never seen such thing before, normally we tend to play MMOs by our on way, playing against monsters being ALONE (if we have high level). This battle system made the game more cooperative and fun, you tend to meet new people, just to go levelling with them, and sometimes you contact that people just to schedule day, hour and place, just to have fun together by killing monsters and making quests.

I'd like so much a battle system like this game's you should try it just to see if you like it, Dofus is about 100 MB, and can be download in the official page. Don't pay attention to the game itself, only to the battle system, my idea is to make one like Dofus' but faster Wink
Seshiro
Seshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  Seshiro Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:58 pm

KaoroSorane wrote:I like the idea of using skills for clearing dungeons (like the magma thing). Depending on the skills of each job and race, we could implement many of these on a dungeon. Different kinds of magic being used for that is also interesting.

It reminds me of FF:Crystal Chronicles, where you need Selkies (a race which can double-jump in air) to reach some platforms and activate switches, as well as using Yukes' magic to light candles.
Like Golden Sun!!!
Remember you're an only character, WHICH MAKES IT MORE AWESOME!!!! You'd have to look for a [insert a job here] to end a quest, or get a new ability to get into a new place with more powerful monsters!!!
Seshiro
Seshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  scrag_10 Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:55 pm

Dofus looks kinda slow paced, I like the idea of the flash animations on the first page as far as battling goes. It is kinda like a grid based shootem up, with mouse controls, but for a RPG MMO. It would also get bonus points for being unique.

I think having skills which can get you into different parts of the dungeon are good. In golden sun you can make vines grow, or lift boulders etc. But in Golden Sun you can change the class/skillz in a second, all you need to do is swap the djinn around. So it is not class based or species unique skill.

In FF3 when you change Classes you lose the ability to gain Exp. for a little while, but it lets you gain other abilities at a cost incase you don't have a party member with the required skill. But there is like a cooling off period before that character is good again too.

I dunno lolz

scrag_10

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:19 pm

As Scrag said, Dofus battle engine is terribly slow (if I remember well, it's turn based. Or maybe I'm talking about another MMO instead, IDK). I kind of prefer fastpaced action-rpg style instead.

But if you think of it, not many MMOs use this active engines. Mostly they're all "click-to-kill". I think the only ones I've played out of this style are MapleStory (good, but have a terrible EXP curve), clones of it (like Ghost Online) and a 3D one which I can't remember the name but it also makes attacks with the keyboard.

I'd like to see an MMO in the Crystal Chronicles (multiplayer) style.
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  Seshiro Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Seshiro wrote:[...]Don't pay attention to the game itself, only to the battle system, my idea is to make one like Dofus' but faster Wink
I mentioned Dofus was slow, but the idea was to avoid individuality, to make a game which is better to enjoy with others.
If we could make it with your system, better, sounds faster and more entertaining than Dofus' one, and it's quite original, but my idea was to follow the story with a party, and not by yourself.
Seshiro
Seshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Umm... Isn't Dofus turn-based?
Strategy works fine for single player, but for MMOs they should be more Action-RPG-ish.

Real time attacking and moving, with a fast-paced battle system that requires skill to play.
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  Seshiro Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:30 pm

KaoroSorane wrote:Umm... Isn't Dofus turn-based?
Strategy works fine for single player, but for MMOs they should be more Action-RPG-ish.

Real time attacking and moving, with a fast-paced battle system that requires skill to play.
Yep, Dofus is turn-based, but I didn't mean to make the game turn-based too, I meant to make a battle system apart from the world map. That was the general idea, but I'm just throwing ideas, I want the battle system to be unique, action-RPG system is used in almost all MMO xD.
Seshiro
Seshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Hummm.. I see... That's a nice idea, but it kind of makes the game too individual, even if you can enter battles with a party.

But it's possible, and I actually think it would work very well with the battle system we were thiking.
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  Seshiro Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:08 pm

KaoroSorane wrote:Hummm.. I see... That's a nice idea, but it kind of makes the game too individual, even if you can enter battles with a party.
Not exactly, because sometimes you DEPEND on having a summoner or a white mage, Dofus is... "Tactics", it fits it better than "turn based".

But I also liked the battle systems we were talking about, I can't really decide xD
Seshiro
Seshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:21 pm

We can make the battle systems we were talking about ON a separated battle map.
I like it more than the each of the ideas separated. And we can make you battle with NPCs without having to actually move the npc (which would be weird for people who want to talk with it)
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  Seshiro Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:13 pm

KaoroSorane wrote:We can make the battle systems we were talking about ON a separated battle map.
I like it more than the each of the ideas separated. And we can make you battle with NPCs without having to actually move the npc (which would be weird for people who want to talk with it)
So, the question is, fighting in a separate map or in the same map we explore?
Seshiro
Seshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  scrag_10 Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:51 am

Seshiro wrote:
KaoroSorane wrote:We can make the battle systems we were talking about ON a separated battle map.
So, the question is, fighting in a separate map or in the same map we explore?

There is an old school game that looks like chess, and plays like chess, but when a Pawn attacks a Rooke or vis versa, you go into a 2 player battle mode and its top veiw and you run around shooting eachother. But since Rookes are supior to Pawns, rookes have more armor and a better gun or slower. I like it because in real battle the supior opponent doesn't always win.

Just thought I'd bring that up.

But there is a problem I think and that is that someone can't walk by and just join the battle. I think it may slows down the action, loading in and out of battles like that. It also makes it harder to meet players to play with if your in battle and can't see eachother. If thats how it would work that is.

There could also be like a battle "Area" on the Map, like you run around and see a battle but you can't participate in the battle until you enter the battle Area. When the battle is finished the Region disappears.

I dunno just shooting out ideas.

scrag_10

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:35 am

scrag_10 wrote: There could also be like a battle "Area" on the Map, like you run around and see a battle but you can't participate in the battle until you enter the battle Area. When the battle is finished the Region disappears.

I dunno just shooting out ideas.
That was the concept of dofus. I think it could work well, but (like you said) we should not allow players to enter battles that have already started. That's called Kill Stealing and is a real problem at some MMOs.

We could make you choose options whenever you start a battle. Something like this:

First ideas for the game - Page 2 80006329

I know it sucks, I did it on paint on five minutes or so, just to show what I meant.

The system would store your last configurations so that you don't have to manually change them every time.

What do you think?
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  Seshiro Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:09 pm

KaoroSorane wrote:That was the concept of dofus. I think it could work well, but (like you said) we should not allow players to enter battles that have already started. That's called Kill Stealing and is a real problem at some MMOs.
In Dofus you cannot enter to a battle that is already started. You could enter as spectator, but you could only watch the battle.

KaoroSorane wrote:We could make you choose options whenever you start a battle. Something like this:

First ideas for the game - Page 2 80006329

I know it sucks, I did it on paint on five minutes or so, just to show what I meant.

The system would store your last configurations so that you don't have to manually change them every time.

What do you think?
:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O
PRIVATIVE SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!11!11!!!!11!1!!1!111!!1!!!1111

Well, after 2 days of therapy (?) I got over that you made it in MS paint, so I could focus on the idea.

It's quite good, the only thing a don't agree, is to give the first player the availability of turning ON/OFF BGM or effects, I think it depends on each character, which has its own control panel.
Seshiro
Seshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  scrag_10 Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:28 pm

All this kill stealing is giving me ideas. Maybe experience doesn't have to be gained by killing monsters. Maybe it could be time based. The more time you spend attacking the higher your attack level gets, same for defending, it could also be weapon specific, the more time you use a Bow and Arrow, the more powerful you become with a bow and arrow.

Bumblebee = 5 exp per second/minute
Dragon = 100 exp per second/minute

These private battles are they just for PvP? or for when you encounter a monster too? Maybe if it does go to its own battle area, perhaps you can request help and anyone can jump in.

scrag_10

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:16 pm

Seshiro wrote:It's quite good, the only thing a don't agree, is to give the first player the availability of turning ON/OFF BGM or effects, I think it depends on each character, which has its own control panel.
I couldn't think of any option to add, it seemed too empty with only the option of changing the battle entering thing.

Actually, it's a bit lame that you have to click on it for every battle. We could make it like the dofus thing, and if someone enters the battle as an spectator, you may click his/her sprite to allow him/her to battle with you. (The sprite could be grayscale when the character is only watching, maybe)
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  Seshiro Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 pm

KaoroSorane wrote:
Seshiro wrote:It's quite good, the only thing a don't agree, is to give the first player the availability of turning ON/OFF BGM or effects, I think it depends on each character, which has its own control panel.
I couldn't think of any option to add, it seemed too empty with only the option of changing the battle entering thing.

Actually, it's a bit lame that you have to click on it for every battle. We could make it like the dofus thing, and if someone enters the battle as an spectator, you may click his/her sprite to allow him/her to battle with you. (The sprite could be grayscale when the character is only watching, maybe)
That menu is not required, it would be better to do it as you said here. Yo R in da map right? So you click a monster, you enter to the battle mode, and then people enter to your battle. You can take them out if you don't want them in your battle.
Seshiro
Seshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:34 am

I also think it would be better if we don't let the other characters move through the map, or they'd get into the way of killing a mob. Maybe they're just one sprite or a simbol on one side of the screen.
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  ricmax Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:37 pm

KSing is something that REALLY piss everyone in mmo.

Look at this mans (that the game I told you Mount and Blade [not sword, sorry]):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_BAzyqRVIk&feature=related
In that you could use your skills to win, not only the stats or equips (they help you a lot, of course, but you could hard work to win against an entire army.

In that game you can enter in battles and, if some outside caravan (friend or foe) enter, they can battle as REINFORCEMENTS. We could use this idea. Every one could join in, but they're reinforcements (will not win xp for help or will only win an little). But we can make a system that blocks a high level to reinforcement a low level (if that always occurs the players could use it to leveling really fast). You could also deny a reinforcement, but you need to configure it in your game by the options menu, not on the heat of the battle. It's my opnion.

EDIT: Something that I find guys:
http://www.taleworlds.com/mb_download.html

Mount and Blade Download. Now you can taste what I'm talking about skill. Laughing
Please, give it a try and you'll like it. What a Face

Last edited by ricmax on Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mount and Blade Download)
ricmax
ricmax

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:04 am

The reinforcements thing was mostly like what we were talking about, except in this case the character automatically participate the battle when he enters it (and gains no exp), and in the other case you would have to click the character sprite to allow it to play.

But doing that in the middle of the battle is not really bad, you just have to left-click once.
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next