Echidna Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models.

3 posters

Go down

Think we should use it?

Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models. Vote_lcap40%Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models. Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]
Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models. Vote_lcap60%Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models. Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 5

Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models. Empty Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models.

Post  KaoroSorane Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:10 am

Sefi, from Square-Enix Forums, recentrly suggested that we'd use 3D engines for creating the game models (characters and objects), then render 2D images out of them. According to her, it's way easier to create stuff in 3D instead of 2D, and we could easily get a new set of pictures of an object without needing to redraw each of that objects sprites from scratch.

So, what do you think? You think we could 3D models, and then take make 2D sprites from them, or do you think it's better if we stick with just drawing the 2D sprites instead?
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models. Empty Re: Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models.

Post  scrag_10 Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:46 pm

3d sprites only work if the game is 3d or Isometic, because those games try to look semi realistic. 2D games don't really go for realisticness.

Also I vote no, but I would be down to trying it if it was for Character or Enemies. I think there is a high chance of fail, depending on the look we are going for. It is the coloring of the renders that I think would be bad.

scrag_10

Back to top Go down

Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models. Empty Re: Rendering 2D graphics out of 3D models.

Post  KaoroSorane Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:55 pm

scrag_10 wrote:It is the coloring of the renders that I think would be bad.
I don't quite get what you mean. If we were to do that, the whole game would be modelled in 3D, and then rendered into 2D sprites.
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  scrag_10 Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:51 pm

Well one of the concerns about color, is where the black/Dark out lines go. It would be hard to get a 3d renderer to do that properly I think.

Also is this for moving characters or non moving things?

scrag_10

Back to top Go down

Post  tawna Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm not sure. At the moment, I do not know how to use any software for making 3-D graphics. It would take a few months or longer to learn how to use one. On the other hand, I will soon learn Maya, which makes 3D graphics. Once I become familiar with that, learning to use other software that makes 3D graphics should be easy.

I think the choice of 3D or 2D should be based on the capabilities of people making the game. Time would be lost when learning to use new software.

I am also considering mentioning this project to my Game Animation eXchange club in school. Some of them already know how to use Maya or other 3D graphic software. If they join in, then making the graphics with 3D software should be okay.

tawna

Back to top Go down

Post  scrag_10 Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:44 pm

2D has the bonus, that it is not hard too learn, and makes it easy for people to help out.

scrag_10

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:10 am

tawna wrote:I think the choice of 3D or 2D should be based on the capabilities of people making the game. Time would be lost when learning to use new software.
I agree, that's why this pool's here, right? ^^

tawna wrote:I am also considering mentioning this project to my Game Animation eXchange club in school. Some of them already know how to use Maya or other 3D graphic software. If they join in, then making the graphics with 3D software should be okay.
Yay.

scrag_10 wrote:2D has the bonus, that it is not hard too learn, and makes it easy for people to help out.
hummm... You have a point.
KaoroSorane
KaoroSorane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum