Project Darkstar

Go down

Project Darkstar

Post  KaoroSorane on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Baelari (from Square-Enix forums) recently suggested that we took a look at this Project Darkstar thing. It's not a game engine, it's a web engine for MMO games. According to the stuff on the site, the objective is radically simplifying online development and grant the best possible performance from the server.

It's a Sun Open-Source project, and seems to be very advanced by now. Take a look, I want to know wether we should use it or not.
KaoroSorane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Project Darkstar

Post  Baelari on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:13 am

http://www.projectdarkstar.com/

I didn't get to go through it very thoroughly when I looked at it a few months back, but it should handle threading, load distribution, and server utilization automatically. If I recall correctly, persistence is very easy, it's capable of making a shardless world, and scales very well. It seems ideal for novices making an MMO. No graphics engines are attached, but can be integrated easily, if I understand correctly.

Baelari

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:26 am

Yeah, that's what I read too. The goal is giving the programmer all of the infrastructure behind the web-based part of game making (sockets, serversockets, ports, inetAddresses, client packet getter threads, etc), so that you only have to care about event handling for player actions.

Sounds pretty impressive. I'll try to take a look at the source once I finish my studies.
KaoroSorane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iHussain on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:13 am

its good idea

I will try to look at tomorrow after my cs exam (Java) sigh

iHussain

View user profile http://mypage.na.square-enix.com/iHussain

Back to top Go down

Post  scrag_10 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:09 pm

well I definitly thing it is good to use Java, because of the portability. As a open source MMO this game won't be super popular(at first Wink ), and with javas ultra portability we could getting running on more types of computers/phones?, and expanding the player base.

scrag_10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:58 pm

Running on... phones? O.o

Even if we make the resolution 800x600 (which I think it's the smallest we can have for a good game), where are we gonna find a cellphone with such resolution?

Now, the fact that it is not system-dependent like most other languages (aka, it runs on Unix) is a positive point. However, I've heard that most of C++ also runs on Unix systems.
KaoroSorane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  scrag_10 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:32 pm

this http://openpandora.org/ XD, I want to play on that.

If we do SNES quallity sprites we get 64x64 (more likely 32x32) pixels to work with, and SNES had a max resolution of 512x478. So if we work somewhere in there an iphone size screen should be possible.

Also if we do really high pixel count work it can just be scaled for smaller screens.

scrag_10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaoroSorane on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:18 am

Yeah, but if we do a really high pixel count, details like text and menus will not be visible.
Also, what about the mouse control for battles?
KaoroSorane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum